How EVO Sharing introduced gamification to inspire customers to ride their electric scooters more often
Undoubtedly, the way people travel is changing. With micromobility trips and e-hailing rides doubling in just one year, mobility operators are trying to capitalize on this trend. One of those operators is EVO Sharing, a German electric scooter-sharing service. They came to StriveCloud in search of a customer engagement tool that would help them differentiate from competitors while hooking customers into a unique experience.
In this case study, we’ll show you how EVO Sharing leveled up customer engagement with gamification!
- The challenges facing shared mobility (and EVO Sharing’s plan to overcome them)
- Why EVO Sharing introduced gamification to support its growth goals
- How gamification can help you fuel your growth
- How to introduce loyalty & gamification into your mobility application with StriveCloud (and the benefits of our engagement tools)
EVO Sharing is a spin-off of EVO, a local energy supplier in Germany. In 2018 they launched an electric scooter-sharing service as a sustainable mobility initiative. After finding initial traction with commuters EVO Sharing wanted to expand into new audiences such as students.
“WE WANT TO BRING PEOPLE CLOSE TO ELECTROMOBILITY AND SHOW THEM HOW EASY IT WORKS. HERE WE HAVE THE GOAL TO ADD MORE AREAS AND TO PUSH THE NETWORKING AMONG CITIES.” – Jenniffer Dittmar @ EVO Sharing
However, with more alternatives available every day, mobility operators need a way to stand out and keep customers engaged over the long haul. EVO Sharing went looking for a customer engagement tool that would incentivize customers to book more trips while also building loyalty.
Today, 44% of companies compete primarily over the customer experience. The right customer engagement tool will help you build a loyal customer base.
Why EVO Sharing introduced gamification to support its growth goals
EVO Sharing wanted to encourage customers to use its shared mobility service more often. To do that, they needed a customer engagement tool that could help them expand their market share and reach new audiences while gaining a competitive edge.
“WHITH STRIVECLOUD WE WANT TO CREATE INCENTIVES TO DRIVE MORE OFTEN WITH ELECTRIC SCOOTERS FROM EVO SHARING. THROUGH THE CHALLENFES AND THE ACHIEVEMENTS OF MILESTONES, CUSTOMERS SHOULD BE MOTIVATED TO USE THE SCOOTERS MORE OFTEN.” – Jenniffer Dittmar @ EVO Sharing
What is StriveCloud?
StriveCloud is a gamification platform designed to help you introduce loyalty and gamification features inside your app. As a partner of the vehicle-sharing software Wunder Mobility, we’ve also had the opportunity to work on various mobility projects where we’ve seen the number of trips booked increase dramatically.
Why gamification for mobility works
Put simply, shared mobility apps create and run on a huge amount of data. Think about all those stats collected from a user’s journey such as duration, distance, and frequency. Well, gamification gets its power from leveraging this data. For instance, rewarding users to complete a certain distance, which in turn motivates them to keep going.
Given this, you can see how shared mobility apps are the perfect partner for our gamification software!
“OUR BUSINESS MODEL IS ALSO VERY SUITABLE FOR GAMIFICATION. RECEIVING REWARDS BASED ON DISTANCE, KILOMETERS OR MINUTES DRIVEN MAKES A LOT OF SENSE TO USE AND GOES WELL TOGETHER.” – Jennifer Dittmar @EVO Sharing
In other words, gamification helps you create a fun and memorable experience that rewards customers for the behaviors you want to see. For mobility operators, this could help to:
- Incentivize people to use your shared mobility service more often – Get people to book more trips by using gamification. Reward them based on distance, time, or frequency of rides, and keep them coming back for more!
- Improve fleet balancing – Gamification allows you to reward and motivate the behaviors you want to see. For example, you can improve fleet balancing by incentivizing customers to use better drop-off points and so on!
- Engage customers inside the app – Instead of using external platforms like email, you can create a narrative inside your mobility app! It’s a surefire way to differentiate from other mobility operators, to build a loyal customer base!
- Attract younger audiences – Gamification has also proven to be attractive to younger audiences such as Gen Z. The feedback loop incentivizes them to keep coming back through features such as progress meters, leveling systems, and leaderboards.
How gamification can help you fuel your growth
Research finds that upselling to existing customers is about 50% more likely to succeed than upselling to newly acquired customers. With that in mind, gamification might be the right customer engagement tool to keep users riding for the long haul.
Motivate customers to book more trips with in-app currencies
In-app currencies are a great way to reward customers and incentivize certain desired behaviors. EVO Sharing for instance lets its riders collect EvoCoins for completing a certain mileage or buying minute packages. Later, they can exchange their coins for free riding minutes!
While it might seem like a random reward, this in-app currency serves multiple goals:
- EvoCoins rewards customers for the number of miles they’ve completed
- Customers get EvoCoins for buying extra riding minute packages
- It reinforces loyalty and increases buying frequency
“WE USE STRIVECLOUD TO INCENTIVIZE OUR CUSTOMERS. THEY GET REWARDS WHEN THEY HAVE COVERED ENOUGH KILOMETERS, FOR EXAMPLE. ”- Jenniffer Dittmar @ EVO Sharing
Introduce a leveling system to grow a loyal customer base
People have an innate drive for achievement. A great way to make use of that is to set clear customer goals. EVO Sharing, for instance, based its rewards and leveling system around easy-to-track statistics such as the number of miles driven, and the number of minute packages bought. That way people are incentivized to keep coming back!
Besides earning EvoCoins riders also get to level up. Starting from ‘Rookie’ at level 1 with up to 20 levels ahead! This all comes together in a built-in achievements page that displays the user’s progress. And seeing all those ’blank state’ achievements can motivate users even more!
How to introduce loyalty & gamification into your mobility application with StriveCloud (and the benefits of our engagement tools)
Getting started with StriveCloud is easy! We go through three simple steps to set you on your way to success:
- First, we help our customers identify the best loyalty & gamification solution according to their business challenges and target audience during a gamification workshop.
- Second, we create a gamification design plan based on the needs discovered. This includes expert recommendations for additional in-app loyalty and gamification features.
- Finally, we set up our software to integrate the new features straight into your mobile application. Our customers can easily iterate the experience live into their app from a simple control panel.
Incentivize your customers to book more trips! Discover how you can create your own unique experience with our gamification platform!
Shared mobility apps create huge amounts of data. Think about all those statistics collected from user journeys, like duration, distance, and frequency. That’s data that can be leveraged for achievements and rewards! This makes the experience more enjoyable and encourages deeper engagement.
Gamification can be a great customer engagement tool to incentivize customers to keep coming back. With a growing share of mobility operators, a gamified experience will help you stand out and reward desired customer behaviors.